BUILT FOR THE NEW ZEALAND LAUNDRY COMPANY IN 1906, THE QUAY BUILDING WAS TURNED INTO ARTISTS’ STUDIOS IN THE 1980s, AND MAINTAINS TIES TO THE ARTS COMMUNITY TODAY.
The original three-storey structure on this site was designed by Auckland architect Robert de Montalk but extensively modified in the 1920s.
New owners added two storeys in 1922 and in 1924 Robertson Brothers, builders and contractors, and Lewisham Limited, agricultural product merchants, moved in. In 1927 four shop fronts were added and 14 businesses occupied the building.
Radio Ltd took over in 1935 and for several decades most of the building was a radio factory.
Creative new direction
In the late 1980s contemporary art gallery Artspace occupied the Quay Building. Also in the building were the studios of 13 young artists funded by arts patron James Wallace, founder of the Wallace Arts Trust.
Today the building has been cleaned out and it is leased on an interim basis, retaining links to the creative arts community through its association with the Auckland Arts Festival. It is also home to fitness studios Brazilian Training Academy and City Boxing.
The Quay Building will be fully renovated as part of the Britomart redevelopment programme.
IN THIS BUILDING
Fabric Structure Systems
Find The Quay Building
108 Quay Street